Crawling to the finish line

Hello readers of my blog. Apologies if  I seem like the biggest whiner & complainer in the whole world sometimes, but sarcastic hyperbolic humor seems to be my coping mechanism for . . . everything. Rest assured that I am grateful to my bones for my children and husband and his educational opportunities, and that I am well aware that mine are largely first world problems.

With that said, we lost power this weekend for 48 hours and it kiiiiind of felt like the universe was playing a cruel joke on me. Like, “you thought those last couple weekends of Tanner’s constant study hours plus a tantruming toddler and miserable colds all around—you thought that was hard? Well you get to do it again this weekend, except without electricity!!!”

Being a stay at home mom sometimes feels a whole lot like solitary confinement. Throw in the med school wife aspect (i.e. mostly absent husband) and getting sick is just totally miserable. Almost all my coping mechanisms involve getting out of the house to interact with other adults, and/or getting babysitters to give me a little break from the kiddos to rejuvenate. All those options are off the table with a snotty coughing kid, so you just sit around the house going NUTS, until they finally get better just around the time that you start feeling like crap because you caught it from them. It’s FUN. Anyway, then right when I started feeling better–that’s when our power went out.

I’m an idiot and didn’t charge my phone the night before, so. . . no phone for me. And I know that for millions of years, women took care of small babies at home all day without the advantages of smart phones, but those women were probably all hot messes of unstable mental health, am I right?

I got to explain to Camryn about 8,000 times that no we can’t watch a show. Nope, not on the computer. or the t.v. or the ipad. or my phone. I can’t make you toast, or a smoothie, pancakes, or popcorn. And we cannot dance to music. I guess it’s a very confusing concept when you’re three that all of these things are related somehow.  ELECTRICITY!!!! oh my lands, I am grateful for electricity. Let me just take this moment to give a personal shout out to Lucy & Ethel (my washer/dryer), my dishwasher, fridge, freezer, blender, popcorn popper, griddle, stove, oven (even the disposal, geez), hairdryer/straightener (haha j/k I never use those anymore) white noise machine (that one is important), AIR CONDITIONER.  oh and lightbulbs.  All the lightbulbs. Holla, computer (Facebook, blogs, outside world connection) t.v. (hulu), and PHONE. Did I say phone? I love you Wi-Fi, forever and ever. We ate nothing but fruit and plain bread for every single meal (it is so apparent to me that I could never hack vegetarianism. I LOVE ME MY MEAT) while all of the food in my fridge slowly spoiled. Luckily, there wasn’t much there as the week before had sapped my will to live grocery shop and meal plan, and I did save all the meat in my freezer by taking it to a friends house (thanks Jana!) And I have to say thank heavens it was only 82 degrees both no power days, because a hot house may have just done me in. I was watching a friends 3 kids all day that day while they packed up to move, and it was slightly overwhelming, but actually really good to have someone for Camryn to play with. Hopefully their mom was fine with them eating a million peanut butter sandwhiches and being filthy from the back yard most of the day since I wouldn’t let them come in and wake up the baby! (no sound machine)

When I woke up on day two and it became apparent that the power outage was going to stick around, I decided to pull on my bootstraps or whatever and get myself out of the house for 10 hours and just hope and pray that by the time I came back, I’d have power. The grocery store, the gas station, the pet store, stopping by 2 friends houses, 6 hours spent at Loose Park, and a church activity later, we came home to POWER! Hallelujeah.

Loose park is a total gem and it was a gorgeous day. I make good choices sometimes. My friend Aimee came and met me at the splash pad which was a welcome dose of adult conversation!

IMG_1477 IMG_1479 IMG_1482 Camryn has started taking photos, it’s cute.  I have many many awkward photos of me, the walls, and Camyrn’s hands, but she’s getting better!IMG_1483 Loose Park Rose GardensIMG_1487 IMG_1488 IMG_1489 IMG_1492 IMG_1494

Here’s a couple more unrelated just cuz my kids are cute.

IMG_2555 IMG_2524 IMG_2375 IMG_2313

Now it’s less than 12 hours until Tanner has officially completed his first year of medical school and we are FREE for one entire month. Phew. WE MADE IT (sorry for all the caps in the post. they are, in fact, necessary.) I am excited out of my mind. Mostly for all of the sleep I’m going to get, let’s be honest. I am going to sleep so so so much.


2 thoughts on “Crawling to the finish line

  1. Alison says:

    Oh, you poor thing. And there is no sarcasm in that. 48 hours. I wouldn’t have made it. But now you have a good story to tell 🙂 I hope you have so much fun in UT! Enjoy it!

  2. Christie says:

    YOU MADE IT! First year is over! There is no way 2nd year can be worse, right? Right. You’ve got this. Hey! I recognize that cute swim suit Drew is wearing! Glad it fits him this summer! Come swimming at our place this week so I can see him in it! Oh wait. Is it pointless to leave a comment on your blog because you’re going to be sleeping for the next 30 days?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s